Thank you for visiting UP! You are using an outdated & unsafe browser. Please select a different browser for a safer and better optimized version of our website.

UP-Color-Icon Bitmap UP-Color-Vertical UP-WhiteonBlue-Horizontal UP-WhiteonBlue-Vertical Path 🎨 Color event Combined Shape Shape 🎨 Color 🎨 Color 🎨 Color 🎨 Color 🎨 Color 🎨 Color 🎨 color 🎨 color search icon copy 🎨 Color Upload 🎨 Color NHVTRINJDEMDDCMACTHIAKFLMENYPAVAWVOHINILWINCTNARMOGASCKYALLAMSIAMNOKTXNMKSNESDNDWYMTCOUTAZNVORWAIDCAMI

Veteran & Military Students

University of Providence Military Promise

The University of Providence is proud to provide educational opportunities to active-duty service members, guard and reservists, and military veterans. As a party to a signed Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Defense, we have agreed to follow and uphold certain standards of behavior and policies in our interactions with these students, both before and during their time with us.

These standards and policies are listed below. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Coordinator of University-Military Relations/Military Compliance Officer.

Recruiting/Admissions Standards

The University of Providence…

  • does not provide commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments to anyone engaged in student recruiting.
  • bans any inducements having a monetary value of more than a de minimus to any person or agent of the school for the purpose of securing enrollments of service members.
  • refrains from high-pressure recruitment tactics and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing military member enrollments.
  • directs service members to speak with their ESO (Education Services Officer) or military counselor prior to enrolling the student in the institution.
Financial Aid Standards

The University of Providence…

  • does not provide commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing federal financial aid (including tuition assistance funds) to anyone who makes decisions about the award of financial aid.
  • bans any inducements having a monetary value of more than a de minimus to any person or agent of the school for the purpose of obtaining access to tuition assistance (TA) funds (scholarships, grants, or tuition reduction available to military members are allowed).
  • directs service members to speak with their ESO or military counselor prior to enrolling the student in the institution.
  • provides a clear and complete explanation of available financial aid.
  • describes the differences between private and federal student loans.
  • discloses the cohort default rate (CDR) if/when it rises above the national average and provides loan repayment data.
  • explains that students have the ability to refuse all or part of the loan amount allowed.
  • designates a point of contact that is trained and qualified prior to working with service members for federal or private student loans.
Student Accounts Standards

The University of Providence…

  • directs service members to speak with their ESO or military counselor prior to enrolling the student in the institution.
  • returns TA funds directly to military and not the member.
  • returns 100% of TA funds up to the course start date when member does not start the course.
  • returns TA funds paid for a course that the school cancels said course.
  • uses the same financial aid/TA return policy for military members as we do for our non-military students. Because we have 16-week, 8-week, and 5-week courses, the graduated scale dates vary. The dates can be found on our website under Academics — Academic Calendar — select the appropriate semester — select the appropriate calendar — scroll to the end of the document.
Academic Advising Standards

The University of Providence…

  • reports that the following majors have programmatic accreditation. Further information can be found on our website under the “Exploring Programs” page for each of these degrees. The list is updated as new majors earn programmatic accreditation.
    • BS Nursing (CCNE)
    • MS Nursing (CCNE)
    • MS Counseling (CACREP)
    • AS/BS Legal and Paralegal Studies (ABA)
  • discloses general degree requirements for programs to the member and service before enrollment of the member at the school.
  • certifies that degree requirements in effect at the time of enrollment are in effect for at least one year beyond the program’s standard length.
  • certifies that members can be readmitted to program if they are temporarily unable to attend class or have to suspend their studies due to service requirements.
  • follows Department of Education regulations regarding readmission requirements for returning service members seeking readmission to a program that was interrupted due to a military service obligation and applies those provisions to service members who are unable to attend classes for less than 30 days within a semester due to a military service obligation when such absence results in a withdrawal under institutional policies.
Transfer Credit Standards

The University of Providence…

  • discloses transfer credit policies and articulated transfer agreements before a member’s enrollment.
  • refrains from making unsubstantiated representations about acceptance of credits in transfer by another institution.
  • provides service members an evaluated educational plan that indicates how many transfer credits it intends to award and how they will be applied to the member’s educational program within 60 days after admission (when the member has selected a degree program, and all required official transcripts have been received).
Point-of-Contact (POC) Standards

The University of Providence…

  • designates a POC for members seeking information about academic counseling, financial aid counseling, and student support at school.
  • ensures that the POC has a basic understanding (trained and qualified) of military TA, Title IV funding, VA benefits and school services available to assist service members.
  • understands that the POC may refer member to other individuals with an ability to provide these services.
Link to official document

Q&A for Military and Veteran students.

UP has dedicated resources to helping our veteran students transition from the battlefield to the classroom. Whether it's the Yellow Ribbon program or the Paralegal Programs for Military Members, we offer veteran students with opportunities to grow their spiritual, temporal and career needs. Our mission to provide veterans students the highest quality education extends beyond the classroom with charism, discernment and profession.

What steps do I take to use my Education Benefits at The University of Providence?

In order to use the GI Bill® students must:

  1. Have an eligibility determination from the VA.
  2. Be enrolled in classes.
  3. Complete the university’s VA Enrollment Certification form.


To receive an eligibility determination (Certificate of Eligibility) from the VA, the student must complete an online application. Students may also call 1-888-442-4551 for assistance. You may also contact the UP VA School Certifying Official at 406-791-5202.

In making its determination, the VA will review the veteran’s military record for dates of duty and the nature of the discharge. The veteran can expect to receive a Certificate of Eligibility in 6-8 weeks; processing is delayed during peak volume times.

***GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

How do I access the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment system (WAVE)?

To verify enrollment through a WAVE account, please visit the GI Bill® website, at  or call the Voice Response telephone line at 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378). First time users should access and read the WAVE User Guide, found on the website listed above. Students CANNOT verify until the last day of the month. (When prompted to provide a VA claim number, use the student’s Social Security Number).

How can I find out more information about my payment status?

Payments are made after the month is over. Generally, direct deposits should be in a student’s bank account on the first day of the following month.

If students are using Chapter 30, 1606, or 1607, there is a payment history on his or her WAVE account. It will also specify how many months of eligibility remain. Students must certify the enrollment each month thru the WAVE process; payments will be issued 4-7 days after WAVE is completed.

If students are using Chapter 33, access eBenefits online. A Premium account is required; there is no charge for a premium account.

Contact the VA Customer Service Hotline at 1-800-827-1000. Alternatively, students may submit a secure email question through the RightNowWeb portal. NOTE: It is not unusual for the first payment of the term to be delayed; often the VA is behind in processing the term claims. Payments will be retroactive to the first day of the term.

What classes can I take?

The VA rules require a student be degree seeking. The academic advisor can help with making sure students are taking courses that are required to complete the program they have chosen.

The VA will not pay to repeat any courses that students completed successfully (letter grades of A, B, C or D) UNLESS the courses require a specific minimum grade.

How does the VA know that I am enrolled in school?

The University of Providence VA School Certifying Official (SCO) is located in the Financial Aid Office in Argo Central. The SCO reports enrollment information to the VA electronically. The VA will send a letter to the student after processing the claim each semester. The letter will specify the time period and amount of benefits for the term. It will also notify the student how many months of eligibility remain AFTER the current term.

What steps do I need to take in order for UP to certify me for the semester?
  1. Bring in the most recent copy of a student’s Certificate of Eligibility that has been received from the VA (one will be generated after each enrollment certification and mailed to the student).
  2. Complete and return a VA Enrollment Certification form and your print out from DegreeWorks.
What happens if my enrollment changes during the term?

The SCO monitors enrollment throughout the term. It is important to keep in contact with the SCO; adding classes, dropping classes or withdrawing from the term need to be reported to the VA.

Generally, decreasing enrollment or withdrawing from school will result in an overpayment from the VA and will require the student to repay money received. The SCO can advise the student of the process with the VA.

Can I receive federal financial aid even though I receive VA benefits?

Federal Financial Aid is based on prior-prior year’s income, household size and enrollment status. It is not affected by the student receiving veteran’s education benefits.

It is suggested that all students apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA process. Students always have the opportunity to decline federal aid that has been offered.

Does the amount of credits I enroll in affect my benefit amount?

Yes, the enrollment status affects the benefit amount.

For Chapter 30, 35, 31, 1606 and 1607 the VA pays at a training time rate.

Full Time 12 credits 100% of monthly benefit
Âľ Time 9-11 credits 75% of monthly benefit
½ Time 6-8 credits 50% of monthly benefit

Students enrolled in less than 6 credits receive a total benefit equal to the amount of tuition and fees for the term.

For Chapter 33, the housing benefit is based on the rate of pursuit.

12 Credits 100% of monthly benefit
11 Credits 91.66% of monthly benefit
10 Credits 83.33% of monthly benefit
9 Credits 75 % of monthly benefit
8 Credits 66.66% of monthly benefit
7 Credits 58.33% of monthly benefit
0-6 Credits No Housing Payment

Students need to keep in mind the payment tier that the VA has assigned them. Graduate students enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester are considered full time.

There are several programs that fall under Education Benefits for Military and Veteran students such as the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (ch 33), Montgomery GI Bill® (ch 30), Survivor’s and Dependent’s Assistance (ch 35), Guard/Reserve Benefits (ch 1606) and Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (ch 31).

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, the Department of Veterans Affairs will pay a private institution a maximum amount of tuition reimbursement for the academic year for the eligible student’s tuition and fees. The Yellow Ribbon program allows institutions of higher learning in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs to help fund tuition and fee expenses that go beyond the annual cap. Participating schools can then contribute up to 50 percent of the remaining tuition and fee expenses, and the Department of Veterans Affairs will match that amount. This means that under the post 9/11 GI Bill® and the Yellow Ribbon Program, the student’s entire tuition and fees will be paid for at the University of Providence. The Department of Veterans Affairs will also pay a monthly housing allowance and a book stipend of up to $1,000 per year!

***GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.


Only veterans or their designated transferees using the Post-9/11 GI Bill® who are entitled to the maximum benefit rate of 100 percent (based on service requirements) may receive Yellow Ribbon Benefits. Spouses of Active Duty members are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance.

Eligibility criteria for the Post-9-11 GI Bill® can be found at the GI Bill website.

***GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Transfer of Post-9-11 GI-Bill® Benefits to Dependents (TEB)

Service members may transfer all or some of their unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer must be completed while the service member is still serving on active duty. For specific questions on eligibility for TEB or how to apply, click here, or call the service career counselor or personnel center. VA does not determine eligibility for TEB.


The Post 9/11 GI Bill® pays tuition and fees directly to the school on the eligible students’ behalf. The housing allowance and book stipend are paid directly to the student based on their rate of pursuit (i.e. full time, half time).

Accurate enrollment information must be submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs so that benefit payments are calculated correctly. It is the students’ responsibility to notify the School Certifying Official of any changes to their enrollment within each semester.

Please be aware that the VA portion of tuition payment will not appear on the statement of account until the University of Providence receives actual payment from the VA. To ensure prompt payment, remember to complete the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form prior to each semester. Once the VA Enrollment Certification Request Form is processed, the University of Providence’s Student Account’s Office will recognize that VA tuition payment will be expected; therefore, students will not be required to pay the tuition and fee expenses up front.

The Yellow Ribbon Program is an agreement between institutions of higher learning and the Department of Veterans Affairs that cover the gap between what the Post-9-11 GI Bill® will pay a private institution and what the actual cost of tuition and fees are.

***GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Paralegal Programs for Military Members

The University of Providence has partnered with the U.S. Army and Air Force to provide bachelor’s level paralegal education to their enlisted personnel at a special tuition rate. These programs are approved by the American Bar Association in an online format that is accessible and flexible. They prepare Army and Air Force paralegals for more challenging paralegal positions or for law school. Although this is a great option, UP also has many other programs to explore!

UP Resources

Veteran Support Center Information

Whether it’s questions about DVA benefits, help figuring out which classes to take or just a place to study or catch up with friends, the Veteran Support Center is open to all veterans. The Center is equipped with:

  • Laptops
  • Tables for group or independent study
  • Lounge area, TV and Xbox
  • Coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave
  • Printing services


Contact Us

The Veteran Support Center is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Monday – Thursday) and 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Friday) in Room 106A in Sullivan Hall.

Telephone: 406-791-5988

Fax: 406-791-5990

Veteran Services

At UP, we understand that veteran students are not the same as traditional students coming out of high school, which is why we have many programs and resources to help navigate the system and succeed on campus.

Veteran Mentor Program

This student-initiated program connects incoming veteran students with a peer mentor who can help them successfully navigate campus.

Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits Program

The Financial Aid VA School Certifying Official is familiar with all of the state and federal benefits programs and can help students select the right program, how apply and make sure students are getting the most out of their benefits program.

  • Applying for Benefits
  • Benefits Programs
  • Supplemental DVA Education Benefits


Disability Services

UP has a proud history of accommodating persons with disabilities, and is committed to ensuring equal educational access and full participation in all of the university’s programs, services and events. Disability services are available through our Center for Academic Excellence- TRiO program located in the Library.

The Veteran Support Center is a dedicated space in Sullivan Hall Building, with veteran work-study students to help veterans with just about anything.

Academic Options & Support
Veterans Orientation

Veteran students attend a separate orientation session that helps them acclimate to campus and get to know all of the resources and programs that are available.

Priority Registration

Veteran students are provided priority registration to help ensure they get the classes they need.

Tutoring Assistance

The Veteran Support Center can help coordinate supplemental academic support so you can get the help you need.

Whether you are completing your degree or just beginning, we will assist you as you are making the transition from your military experience, into college life, and onto the civilian workforce.

Military Affairs

Montana Air National Guard 406-727-4650

Army National Guard Reserve Center 406-453-3155

Army National Guard Recruiting Office 406-771-1030

Air National Guard Recruiting Office 800-864-6264


Contact Information

Deanna Koepke, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Sociology / Coordinator of University-Military Relations

Kelli Engelhardt

Director of Financial Aid and Veteran School Certifying Official

Amber Herigon

Director of Student Accounts

Rod Johanson

Director of Career Services

Ashley Koepke

Interim Registrar

IS Support

Service Desk