Exercise Science Degree Program Overview
The Exercise Science program at the University of Providence is designed to simultaneously prepare all students with a strong foundation in exercise science, and provide specific preparations for career success. You will be able to earn your bachelor’s degree in exercise science with us in no time!
Fields in exercise science are projected to grow faster than the average for all occupations, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook. Nearly all Exercise Science students who apply to graduate school are successfully admitted.
The Exercise Science program allows students to identify an area of concentration to better support students in their chosen career fields. Concentrations within the program include:
- Graduate school: designed for students interested in pursuing graduate studies in physical therapy, occupational therapy, chiropractic care, and clinical rehabilitation
- Pre-athletic training: designed for students interested in pursuing graduate studies to become certified athletic trainers
- Strength and conditioning: designed for students interested in pursuing either graduate studies or employment in fields working directly with athletes in designing and facilitation strength and conditioning programs
- Personal training: designed for students interested in pursuing employment in fields working with the general population to achieve and maintain health and fitness goals, such as in fitness centers, YMCA’s, geriatric fitness, or corporate fitness
- Coaching: designed for students interested in pursuing employment as a sport coach in one or more sports
All Exercise Science program concentrations are created to be completed in four years.
Skills You’ll Learn
Students who earn an Exercise Science Degree from the University of Providence will learn these skills and more:
- Analyze exercise and performance technique
- Measure parameters of physical fitness, health, and performance
- Critically analyze exercise science research
- Scientific application of exercise science information to solve movement problems, such as modifying exercise for diseased or disabled clients in a fitness or rehabilitation setting
- Create safe and effective exercise programs for a variety of populations, such as apparently healthy adults, athletes, and clinical populations
Students who choose to enter UP’s Exercise Science program will have a variety of potential job titles, including:
- Sport coach
- Personal trainer
- Wellness coach
- Geriatric fitness coordinator
- Corporate fitness leader
- Strength and conditioning coach
- Athletic trainer
- Cancer rehabilitation specialist
- Occupational therapist
- Physical therapist
- NASA exercise physiologist
Internship opportunities are available and required for all Exercise Science majors. Students will receive school credit for completed hours. Exercise Science students may intern where they choose, once approved. Internship experience can satisfy graduate school pre-requisites for observation hours in the field of study.
Other Degrees You May Like