Valerie Anderson is an Assistant Professor of Nursing at the University of Providence School of Health Professions Through her career in nursing, Anderson has accumulated various experiences in staff nursing, nurse management, and executive-level nursing positions, helping to guide her transition into nursing instruction in higher education.
Anderson’s educational experience includes a Doctorate of Nursing Practice and a Master of Science in Nursing from the University of Mary. Her professional background is rich in experience. In addition to her work at UP, she is a Nurse Educator, Associate Chief of Nursing Quality and Informatics, and Acting Chief-Sterile Processing Service. Some of her previous experience includes roles as an ICU Staff Nurse, Acting Director of Patient Care, Nurse Executive, and Associate Chief Nurse Care in the Community.
Anderson’s time in higher education began in 2019 when she took on a role as a Nursing Instructor for the University of South Dakota before transitioning to the University of Providence. As an Assistant Professor, Anderson teaches courses in the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Online Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing programs.
- Doctorate of Nursing Practice, University of Mary, 2020
- Master of Science in Nursing, University of Mary, 2010
- Nurse Educator/Lead Testing and Assessment/National Presenter, 2021 – Present
- Acting Chief-Sterile Processing Service, 2018 – Current
- Associate Chief Nurse-Quality & Informatics, 2017 – Current
- Acting Director of Home & Community Programs 2016 – 2017
- Acting Director of Patient Care / Nurse Executive, 2016
- Associate Chief Nurse Care in the Community, 2015 – 2017
- Acting Executive Assistant to the Chief of Staff, 2015
- Nurse Manager of Community Living Center, 2010 – 2015
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) Staff Nurse, 2007 – 2010
- Assistant Professor of Nursing, University of Providence, 2022 – Current
- Nursing Instructor, University of South Dakota, 2019 – 2021
- American Nurses Association, Member
- South Dakota Nurses Association, Member
- ABSN: Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- RN-BSN: Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- NRS 313: Nursing Practice Fundamentals
- NRS 402: Evidence-Based Practice
- NRS 405: Pathophysiology and Pharmacology Concepts
- NRS 408: Health Promotion in Nursing
- NRS 414: Population Health
- NRS 417: Global Perspectives in Healthcare
- NRS 422: Quality & Safety in Nursing Leadership
- Nursing Admission Committee, Member
- Nursing Testing Committee, Member
Three Questions with Valerie Anderson
- What do you enjoy doing outside of academia?
- I am very active with my kids and their sporting activities. In addition, I love to cook, fish, and travel.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- If I could have any superpower, I would want the ability to stop time. Some moments are far too short, so I would like to stop time to enjoy them long before they become a memory.
- What three items would you bring if stranded on a deserted island?
- If stranded on a deserted island, I would take a fishing pole/net, lighter, and a radio. The fishing pole/net would help me catch food to eat. The lighter would help me stay warm and cook my food. Finally, I love listening to music. Hopefully, listening to music will help ease my mind when the sun goes down.