Tanya Seward is an Assistant Professor of Nursing at the University of Providence School of Health Professions. She teaches courses in the Master of Science in Nursing: Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner program. Seward is also the Program Director for both of UP’s Masters in Nursing programs. Seward joined UP with an extensive educational and clinical background. Her educational accomplishments include a Doctor of Nursing Practice from the University of South Alabama and a Master of Science in Nursing in Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner and Primary Care. She also holds a Family Nurse Practitioner Post-Master Certificate from Maryville University.
Seward is a certified Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner and Family Nurse Practitioner with professional experience in occupational and family medicine. In addition to her many faculty roles, Seward works for Valor 4 Vets – “the largest contract provider of primary care and mental health services to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.”
Before joining UP as an Assistant Professor, Seward was a Clinical Instructor of nursing at Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University. On top of her role at UP, Seward is an Adjunct Faculty member at Northwestern State University and Southern University & A&M University, and an Assistant Professor at Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University.
- Doctor of Nurse Practice, University of South Alabama
- Post-Master Certificate: Family Nurse Practitioner, Maryville University
- Master of Science in Nursing: Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner/Primary Care, University of South Alabama
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Gwynedd Mercy College
- Liberal Arts & Sciences, La Salle University
- Masters of Science in Nursing Program Director, 2023 – Current
- Valor 4 Vet, 2019 – Current
- Nurse Practitioner in Occupational Medicine, 2017 – Current
- Nurse Practitioner in Family Medicine, 2015 – 2017
- Assistant Professor of Nursing, University of Providence, 2021 – Current
- Adjunct Faculty, Northwestern State University, 2021 – Current
- Adjunct Faculty, Southern University & A&M University, 2021 – Current
- Assistant Professor, Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University, 2015 – Current
- Clinical Instructor, Franciscan Missionaries of Our Lady University, 2008 – 2014
- Louisiana Association of Nurse Practitioners, Member
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, Member
- Louisiana League of Nurses, Member
- Sigma Theta Tau, Member
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification
- Baton Rouge District Nurses’ Association “Celebrate Nursing” Award
- MSN-AGNP: Master of Science in Nursing: Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner
- NRS 565: Advanced Health Assessments
- NRS 573: Advanced Health Assessment Practicum with Simulation
- NRS 604: Patient Care Management Geriatrics
- NRS 620: Patient Care Management Practicum I
Three Questions With Tanya Seward
- What do you enjoy doing outside of academia?
- Reading, baking, traveling, and going to LSU football games.
- If you could give one piece of advice to new nursing students, what would it be?
- Nursing school is not easy, it will challenge you in many ways, but it is all worth it.
- What is the best advice you ever received as a nurse, and how has it influenced your practice?
- Learning does not stop once you graduate. Healthcare changes frequently, so you must stay current on the latest practices and guidelines. And get involved in local nursing organizations- your voice matters!