Kimberly Maynard is an Assistant Professor of Nursing at the University of Providence’s School of Health Professions. She is also the Program Director for the Vander Werff Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program. Having worked in the nursing field since the early 1990s, Maynard brings a wealth of nursing experience to her role as a nurse educator in UP’s Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program. Maynard is currently in the process of earning her Doctor of Philosophy in Nurse Education from Liberty University – which she has been working toward in addition to her professional and educational career. Maynard holds two master’s degrees: a Master of Science in Nursing from Walden University and a Masters in Business Administration from Frostburg State University. She also holds a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from York College of Pennsylvania.
In addition to her strong educational credentials, Maynard holds an equally impressive and robust professional background that includes roles as a Registered Nurse for eight years and a Clinical Nurse for ten years. Maynard also served as an Assistant Director of Nursing, a School Community Health Nurse, a Clinical Intake Specialist, and various nursing leadership roles.
- Doctor of Philosophy | Nursing Education, Liberty University (In Progress)
- Master of Science in Nursing, Walden University
- Master of Business Administration, Frostburg State University
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing | Minor in Psychology, York College of Pennsylvania
- Vander Werff Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program Director, 2023 – Current
- Registered Nurse, 2021 – 2022
- Team Leader, 2013 – 2017
- Home Health Case Manager | Team Leader | Clinical Supervisor/Operations Manager, 2003 – 2013
- Clinical Nurse III, 2003 – 2008
- Clinical Nurse II 4B Medical Surgical Unit, 1998 – 2003
- Central Intake Specialist, 1997 – 1998
- School Community Health Nurse, 1996 – 1997
- Assistant Director of Nursing, 1996
- Registered Nurse – Emergency Department, 1990 – 1996
- Assistant Professor of Nursing, University of Providence, 2023 – Current
- Adjunct Professor of Nursing, University of Providence, 2022 – 2023
- Parish Nurse
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- ABSN: Accelerated BSN
- TBSN: Traditional BSN (Vander Werff)
Three Questions With Kimberly Maynard
- What do you enjoy doing outside of academia?
- I love to read and spend time with my family.
- What is the best advice you ever received as a nurse, and how has it influenced your practice?
- The best advice I received as a nursing student is to never ask someone to do something you are unwilling to do yourself. This also applies to life outside of nursing. I have learned nursing from the ground up, starting as a nursing assistant and working into education.
- What was your most memorable patient experience in your nursing career?
- One of the most memorable experiences I have had in my nursing career was being able to take care of an individual for a second time whose life I’d saved. The patient presented to the emergency department with chest pain and quickly entered ventricular fibrillation while I was at the bedside. I shocked the individual, and his heart went into a life-sustaining rhythm. The individual was quickly transferred to a cardiac unit. Several weeks later, he presented to the emergency department and was very vocal in announcing that I saved his life. Just the appreciation in his voice made that day at work all worth it.