Dr. Betty Cardona is an Associate Professor of Counseling for the Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program at the University of Providence’s School of Health Professions. Dr. Cardona brings over 20 years of experience in education and counseling to her role at the University of Providence. She earned her Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision at the University of Wyoming, her Master of Arts in Psychology from the University of Mariano Galvez, and her Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of San Carlos – both in Guatemala.
Dr. Cardona holds over twenty years of experience in both professional counseling and counseling education. She has held multiple faculty positions, including the University Del Valle of Guatemala teaching Psychology and the University of Northern Colorado, the University of Wyoming, and the University of Rafael Landivar teaching Counseling education. Dr. Cardona is also a Licensed Professional Counselor, Nationally Certified Counselor, and Gottman Couple Therapy Levels I-II-III, which she uses in her current role as a Private Practice Counselor with a Specialty in Couples Therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education and Supervision, University of Wyoming
- Master of Arts in Psychology, University of Mariano Galvez (Guatemala)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology, University of San Carlos (Guatemala)
- Private Practice with a Specialty in Couples Therapy (Current)
- Department of Counselor Education & Supervision Practicum Supervisor
- Counselor Education Training Clinic Counselor/Supervisor
- College Counselor
- Private Practice Counselor
- Counselor for International Personnel
- School Psychologist
- Associate Professor of Counseling, University of Providence
- Psychology Department Faculty Member, University Del Valle of Guatemala, 1995 – Current
- Department of Counselor Education & Supervision Professor, University of Northern Colorado, 2008 – 2021
- Department of Counselor Education, University of Wyoming, 2004 – 2008
- Psychology Department Faculty Member, University of Rafael Landivar, 2002 – 2004
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- Association for Multicultural Counseling (AMC)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- International Association of Trauma Professionals (IATP)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (Active)
- National Certified Counselor (Active)
- Gottman Couple Therapy Levels I-II-III (Active)
- International Association of Trauma Professionals IAPTP (Active)
- AEDP Level II (Active)
- Human Rights Award, Wyoming Counseling Association
- Graduate Student Award for Excellence in Internationalization University of Wyoming International Board of Advisors
- Emerging Leader Grant, Association for Counselor Education & Supervision (ACES)
- Carol W. William R. Daley Memorial Scholarship for Academic Achievements & Excellence
- Lyle Miller Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Counselor Education, University of Wyoming
- Inter-American Scholarship, International Students and Scholars, University of Wyoming
- Lone A. Gibbs Academic Excellence Scholarship, College of Education, University of Wyoming
- International Student Scholarship, Internal Student Scholars Committee, University of Wyoming.
- Emerging Leader Grant, American Counseling Association.
- Leadership Scholarship, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- MSC: Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- MSC 508: Psychopathology
- MSC 527: Evidence-Based Practice & Outcome Evaluation
- MSC 695: Counseling Practicum
- MSC 697: Advanced Internships II
Three Questions With Betty Cardona
- What do you enjoy doing outside of academia?
- Hiking, snow shoeing, hiking on the ice, traveling and doing research simultaneously, music theater.
- What is the most interesting or unique course you have ever taught?
- Human Sexuality
- If you could switch lives with any fictional character for a day, who would it be and why?
- Joan de Arc