The University of Providence Rodeo club provides the opportunity for students to receive a quality education, while continuing in their way of life.
The University of Providence offers the ability to share in a vital piece of Montana culture – RODEO. The Argonaut Rodeo Team, as a member of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association, will compete in the Big Sky Region, joining 12 other college rodeo programs. Our location in central Montana provides our student athletes a chance to experience Montana’s rodeo culture not only at the collegiate level, but provides an opportunity to travel to other circuit rodeos as well – all the while keeping travel costs to a minimum. The team will compete in various rodeo events including bareback riding, saddle bronc riding, bull riding, team roping, tie-down roping, steer wrestling, breakaway roping, goat tying and barrel racing.
We offer our students the ability to participate in one of the most competitive regions within the NIRA. The program is constructed to prepare our student athletes for the College National Finals Rodeo and beyond.
The University of Providence Rodeo team is always looking for more talented rodeo members. If you are interested in joining, here is some important information:
- Must be a full time student and in good academic standing at the University of Providence.
- Must be committed to competing as competition season begins.
- Provide students the opportunity to have the best of both worlds — rodeo and a quality education.
- Provide students the opportunity to compete at 10 sanctioned National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association (NIRA) college rodeos throughout the fall and spring semesters.
- Provide practice facility, stock (calves, steers and rough stock) and championship leadership to all members of the program.
Team members will compete in:
- Apply to the University of Providence (mark “being recruited for rodeo” when asked)
- Meet with Ryan and Darcy Mapston to discuss scholarship opportunities.
About the coaches:
As Montana natives, Ryan and Darcy Mapston bring a wealth of talent, leadership, and knowledge. Ryan is a ten-time National Finals Rodeo qualifier and two-time Montana Circuit Champion, competing in saddle bronc riding. Ryan was inducted into the Montana Pro Rodeo Hall and Wall of Fame as a rodeo legend in 2019.
Darcy is a successful professional barrel racer with more than ten trips to the Montana Circuit Finals.