Unlike traditional theatre programs, the Theatre and Business Arts major at the University of Providence doesn’t just focus on the art of performance but also provides direction in how graduates can go about building an entrepreneurial career in the arts or arts administration. By combining a strong business education with theatre training, students develop a solid understanding of the unique skills they bring to the workforce, including adaptability, creative problem-solving, communications, marketing, project management and teamwork.
- Students will develop a personal marketing plan by synthesizing their learning as they progress through the program. Students will articulate how they plan to accomplish their goals in a competitive marketplace. Whether they plan on pursuing a career in the arts, or using their creativity, knowledge and experience to bring a unique perspective to another occupation, the student will lay out the steps they intend to take to reach their goals.
- Students will demonstrate adaptability. Whether in the arts or in another career, adaptability is a key factor in an individual’s success. Through the study of theory and practice in both business and arts, students learn different ways to respond, react, problem-solve and influence situations constructively.
- Students will analyze a business plan for effectiveness and viability. An ability to understand a business or project’s goals, plan of action and financial implications is essential for success.
- Students will articulate how creativity benefits employers, community and self. Understanding their own creative and organizational skill and persuading others of their value through a resume, job interview, grant proposal and other communications is a concrete and significant component of student learning in this program.
- Students will practice and display personal theatrical talents to appropriate audiences. Auditioning or interviewing for a job is just one part of the process of proactively promoting one’s career. Students will learn to identify other markets and audiences to which they can expose their talents and develop their career.
- Students will develop team skills as they complete projects in the program, building their understanding of communication, collaboration, organization, and the significance of developing an excellent reputation among peers, funders, employers and others.