What makes our program unique?
The sports management program at UP offers:
- Students will learn from professors who have first hand working knowledge in sports management.
- Through directed electives students are able to focus on areas in sports management that interest them the most.
- UP has many great opportunities available for sports management internships in the Great Falls area. The Great Falls Voyagers Minor League Baseball Team, the Great Falls Americans Minor League Hockey Team, 221 Industries (Sports Event Promotion Company), UP Athletics, Great Falls Public Schools Athletics, Eagle Mount, Special Olympics, and Great Falls Parks and Recreation, as well as area health clubs.
- Core courses, as well as, courses in the major that emphasize ethics. Having a working knowledge in the area making ethical decisions is a vital skill in the field of sports management.
At the conclusion of the program Sports Management Majors will be able to:
- Apply content knowledge in sport management, sport management planning, and implementation methods and strategies through class projects;
- Demonstrate the ability to use professional development tools and exhibit professional disposition in the field of sports management through class simulations and practicum experiences;
- Differentiate diverse cultures impact sport on sport through case studies and discussion;
- Apply leadership and management skills through class projects and practicum experiences;
- Employ the ability to collaborate in the sport business setting through the planning and implementation of an event;
- Construct and foster personnel, clientele, community, donor, and business relationships in a variety of sport business settings through class projects and practicum experiences;
- Value assessment and critical thinking methods to promote ethical decision making and professional problem-solving skills in a sport environment through class projects and exercises.
Sports Management is a very diverse field; jobs range from Minor League Baseball Team Promotions Directors to Agents for multi-million dollars a year earning athletes. The U.S. Department of Labor classifies jobs in sports management in several different categories. Those in the area of Entertainers, Performers, Sports and Related Workers have a wage range where the lower 10% earns an average of $19,400 a year, and the top 10% earning an average of 89,820 a year. There are 1,804,940 people in this field. Data related to future predictions is listed below.
Projected Job Growth through 2022 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Sports Agent/Manager—12 percent, as fast as average
Sports Marketing Manager—13 percent, as fast as average
Athletic Director—Higher Education – 15 percent, faster than average
Sports Facility Services Manager—12 percent, as fast as average
Bachelor of Science in Sports Management
- Computer Science
- Exercise Science
Kelly Quick, Ed. D.
Thomas A. Raunig, Ed. D.