The University of Providence Medical Assistant Certificate program is designed for completion in 10 months. Following a required face-to-face program orientation, students complete all required medical assistant coursework delivered online and in a learning classroom. The final course is 160 unpaid internship hours in a medical clinic to allow students an opportunity to apply their new skills and knowledge in a patient care setting. The goal of the MA Certificate program is to prepare competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Patient Centered Compassionate Care
- Patient Safety and Quality
- Personal Accountability
- Ethical Professional Behaviors
- Effective Communication Skills
- Lifelong Learning
Program Learning Outcomes
- Provide compassionate and culturally appropriate care across care settings and life span.
- Provide high-quality and safe care with every patient encounter.
- Perform within the ethical and legal boundaries of the Medical Assistant’s scope of practice.
- Demonstrate communication skills to improve the work environment and patient outcomes.
- Students complete 8-week online courses with required onsite face-to-face time spent in a skills lab 2-3 times per course.
- The required face-to-face skills labs will be held in Wilsonville, Oregon, or Renton, Washington on Saturdays.
- Students will complete 4 full-time weeks (40 hours/week for a total of 160 hours) in a clinic setting during their final course.
- Students will have access to certification exam preparation materials throughout the program. The University of Providence is approved to proctor the certification exam for students who have successfully completed the program.
Partnership with Providence St. Joseph Health
Our students are prepared to be leaders in healthcare. Our unique partnership with Providence St. Joseph Health (PSJH) offers students the opportunity to receive a quality education with a direct connection to the healthcare industry.
- Designed for students to become skilled, competent, lifelong learners in a rapidly changing and complex healthcare arena.
- Healthcare courses are offered online with state-of-the-art video conference capabilities.
- Affordable cost, big value
- With already competitive tuition rates, students can access multiple scholarship opportunities that could lead to significant tuition reduction.
- Engaged teaching and learning
- Students learn effectively from faculty who help facilitate all learning experiences.
- Internship opportunities
- Students have access to PSJH facilities across seven states in numerous healthcare settings that prepare them for real-world job placement.
- Job opportunities
- During the last semester of their academic program, students have the opportunity to apply for employment within PSJH.