About University of Providence
The University of Providence is a four-year, private, Catholic liberal arts university with a main campus located in Great Falls, Montana offering both face to face and online programs. The University is committed to its mission of preparing students for living and making a living. Founded by the Sisters of Providence, the University is a ministry of Providence St. Joseph Health (PSJH) and continues to create academic programs to address current and future workforce needs for the healthcare system and industry. Shared values of respect, compassion, justice, excellence and stewardship shape the missions of both the University and PSJH.
Essential Position Purpose
The Staff Accountant is a position that performs a wide variety of recurring routine accounting functions requiring understanding and application of fundamental accounting principles and practices.
(* indicates an essential job function)
- *Reviews the operating statements and prepares journal entries to facilitate timely and accurate financial statements. Completes the monthly general ledger closing process via preparation of accounting journal entries, performing analysis of accounts and accruals, and posting journal entries into the system.
- *Prepares and presents monthly quantitative and qualitative analyses by the deadlines with particular emphasis on explanation of variances from budget and recent prior months.
- Prepares monthly reconciliation for assigned accounts including research and preparing any correcting entries for approval and posting.
- Prepares cash projections and other treasury functions.
- *Assists budget managers with questions relating to their monthly financial management reports and other questions.
- Maintains professional growth and development through continuing education, participation in trainings and professional associations and other activities to keep abreast of current technology and organization practices.
- Participates in unit/department performance improvement activities to ensure the development and implementation of processes that support quality service and effective work performance.
- Participates in all mandatory staff meetings and training programs to ensure continued understanding of all departmental policies, procedures and performance improvement programs and processes.
- Maintains accounting records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, University of Providence procedures and financial policies and ensures compliance with federal, state and other regulatory agencies.
- Maintains confidentiality of records, student, employee or faculty.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate commitment to the philosophy, mission, core values, and goals of the University of Providence including the ability to integrate core values into appropriate programs and services.
- Models a passionate commitment to the Mission, values and work of the University of Providence through self-understanding, authenticity and spiritual grounding and inspires others to bring forth their best.
Essential Position Competencies and Requirements
- This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business or related field, or the equivalent experience.
- Three years of detailed accounting experience (i.e. financial statements, closing an accounting period, detailed reconciliations); experience in non-profit or higher education accounting preferred.
- Good communication and listening skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficient in use of computers, including MS Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Basic knowledge of MS Access or other databases.
- General understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
Position Type: Staff
Location: Great Falls, Montana
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, UP application and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COVERED BY THE MONTANA VETERANS’ AND HANDICAPPED PERSONS’ EMPLOYMENT PREFERENCE ACT
The University of Providence is a Catholic, student-centered, mission-focused university. For more information, please contact Human Resources at 406.791.5976.