About University of Providence
The University of Providence is a four-year, private, Catholic liberal arts university with a main campus located in Great Falls, Montana offering both face-to-face and online programs. Founded by the Sisters of Providence in 1932, the University is sponsored by Providence Ministries. As part of the Providence Health System (PHS) the University continues to create academic programs to address current and future workforce needs for the healthcare system and industry. Guiding all Providence Ministries are the shared values of dignity, compassion, justice, excellence and integrity.
Essential Position Purpose
The Senior Librarian is responsible for the Library component of our broader student academic support services. This entails ensuring the highest level of customer service related to electronic resources (the primary research and learning based function of the library), managing student and staff library workers, working with the Dean of Student Success in the Academic Success Center (ASC) to ensure the library is a hub for student academic supports and a center for study and learning, and managing the small physical holdings within the library. A key part of this role is to lead the transformation of the library to a focus on digital resources. The electronic resources component of this work will be over 50% of the overall job.
- Serves as the overall leader of the library and works with the Dean of Student Success to create a holistic, seamless experience for students.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates student and staff library resources.
- Oversees daily activities to ensure library excellence.
- Plans and implements the library specific strategy to carry out the broader UP strategic plan.
- Serves as the UP administrator for all electronic resources including TRAILS, Alma Library Management System, etc.
- Provides student, faculty, and staff support related to electronic resources.
- Works with the Director of Marketing and Communications to maintain the library’s website.
- Maintains LibGuides and other electronic reference materials.
- Creates, maintains, and communicates the schedule for student and staff employment.
- Provides research assistance for students for both physical and electronic research assistance.
- Provides or arranges for one-on-one and class library instruction where appropriate.
- Provides library services to distance students including login troubleshooting and research help for UP resources.
- Performs all aspects of interlibrary loan—borrowing/lending and ALMA Resource Sharing.
- Maintains print and electronic reserves using Alma Library Management System.
- Assists with collection development by suggesting new purchase as well as working with faculty, students and staff to identify current physical holdings that can be retired. Evaluates and recommends electronic research databases for the library.
- Maintains library statistics including patron, circulation, ILL, collection and database usage.
- Staffs Circulation / reference desk when Students and Staff are not available.
- Formulates, monitors, and revises library procedures.
- Attends academic support services committee meetings as needed.
- Serves as primary budget manager for the library.
- Responsible for collection development with assistance from library staff and faculty, including both purchasing and elimination.
- Performs original cataloging as required (either personally or through student and staff support).
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Position Competencies and Requirements
- Exceptional communication skills, including written, verbal and formal presentation skills
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Excellent organizational skills
- Competency in learning and mastering client relationship management software and ERP system software (Banner.)
- Master’s in Library Science accredited by the American Library Association
- 5 years of professional library experience required
- 3 years of demonstrated experience managing library electronic resources required– systems set-up, maintenance, and support.
- Academic experience preferred but not required.
- Models a passionate commitment to the Mission, values and work of the University of Providence through self-understanding, authenticity and spiritual grounding and inspires others to bring forth their best.
- Models high standards of honesty, integrity, trust and ethical behavior.
- Provides superior customer service and motivates others to ensure the same customer-focused intensity.
- Handles conflict effectively.
- Delivers results by implementing with persistence and follows through on both strategic and tactical objectives.
- Is nimble and flexible and manages competing priorities effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to foster a cooperative and collaborative work environment.
- Proficiency with automated and integrated software systems and Microsoft Office products, library electronic resources system, and website.
Position Type: Staff
Location: Great Falls, MT
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, UP application, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org .
THE UNIVERSITY OF PROVIDENCE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COVERED BY THE MONTANA VETERANS’ AND HANDICAPPED PERSONS’ EMPLOYMENT PREFERENCE ACT.
The University of Providence is a Catholic, student-centered, mission-focused university. For more information, please contact Human Resources at 406.791.5976.