About University of Providence
The University of Providence is a four-year, private, Catholic liberal arts university with a main campus located in Great Falls, Montana offering both face to face and online programs. Founded by the Sisters of Providence in 1932, the University is sponsored by Providence Ministries. As part of the Providence Health System (PHS) the University continues to create academic programs to address current and future workforce needs for the healthcare system and industry. Guiding all Providence Ministries are the shared values of dignity, compassion, justice, excellence and integrity.
The coordinator for service ministries works within the office of the Department of Campus Ministry to facilitate community service opportunities for students at the University of Providence. Such programming will predominately include the placement of students in curricular service learning experiences, as well as occasionally organizing one-time community service events for the University community. In matters of curricular service-learning, the coordinator for service ministries will work in direct collaboration with School of Liberal Arts and Sciences (SLAS).
Though this position reports directly to the Director of Campus Ministry, the Coordinator for Service Ministries also receive oversight from the Lumen de Lumine Core Director (or their designee) in matters of curricular service learning.
The Coordinator of Service Ministries accomplishes the following tasks:
- Creating volunteer opportunities for the placement of service-learning students which meet the requirements of the Lumen de Lumine Core Curriculum.
- Maintaining comprehensive and updated record of all completed hours of student volunteer service in both curricular and co-curricular programs.
- Regularly reporting updates of service completion to the Faculty of SLAS for students assigned in service-learning classes.
- Developing and maintaining community partnerships with service agencies.
- Facilitating risk and compliance efforts for students engaged in service, in communication with the University of Providence Officer for Risk and Compliance.
- Some aspects of risk and compliance training may require maintaining communication with the Diocese of Great Falls-Billings regarding “Safe and Sacred” training.
As a member of the University of Providence’s Campus Ministry staff, the Coordinator of Service Ministries will be expected to:
- Develop a working understanding of Catholic Social Teaching
- Develop a working understanding of the Charism of the Sisters of Providence
- Ensure mission alignment in all service programming offered by the Campus Ministry as interpreted by Providence Ministries and the Diocese of Great Falls-Billings
- Support the spiritual growth and development of students through service to the poor and vulnerable.
The Coordinator of Service Ministries oversees logistics for service-based programs, including:
- General Service Opportunities/Trips (Overseen directly by the Department of Campus Ministry)
- Service-Learning (Overseen directly by the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
Essential Position Competencies and Requirements
- Highly developed communication skills—listening, written and oral
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring of others in their own spiritual journeys
- Ability to find or create interesting opportunities for meaningful service and charity. This will require an outreach into the community of Great Falls, including schools, public and private social service agencies and non-profits. The Director must value engaging a wide variety of people and organizations.
- Engagement with the University faculty to support the placement of students in service programs.
- Establishing metrics to determine the success of the Program. These might include retention rates and quantitative/qualitative measures of the students’ engagement and reflection practices.
- Models a passionate commitment to the Mission, values and work of the University of Providence through self-understanding, authenticity and spiritual grounding and inspires others to bring forth their best.
- Models high standards of honesty, integrity, trust and ethical behavior.
- Balances the Common Good with the needs of the most vulnerable in decision-making.
- Delivers results by implementing with persistence, and follows through on both strategic and tactical objectives.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity while driving for results.
- Is reflective and instills trust through openness, respect and honesty with others at all times.
- Is nimble and flexible, and manages competing priorities effectively.
- Provides superior customer service and motivates others to ensure the same customer-focused intensity.
- Handles conflict effectively.
- Proven ability to interact professionally with employees at all levels of the organization in a courteous and cooperative manner.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to foster a cooperative and collaborative work environment.
- Proficiency with automated and integrated software systems and Microsoft Office products.
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Experience in campus ministry, social justice ministries, Catholic volunteer service programs, or non-profit charities preferred.
Position Type: Staff
Wages: $16.64 – 20.05 per hour
Location: University of Providence Campus
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, UP application, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE UNIVERSITY OF PROVIDENCE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COVERED BY THE MONTANA VETERANS’ AND HANDICAPPED PERSONS’ EMPLOYMENT PREFERENCE ACT.
The University of Providence is a Catholic, student-centered, mission-focused university. For more information, please contact Human Resources at 406.791.5976.