Find out all the details you need to earn an Associates of Science in Healthcare Administration degree
- Content delivery: 8-week online courses for working healthcare professionals with short breaks between courses.
- Length of semesters: Two 8-week terms and a brief break within each semester.
- Approximate time to complete the course within the major (2 – 3 semesters)
- Time to complete all coursework in the 60 credit hour Associates degree depends on semester course loads and courses transferred in or needed to meet core, general education, and pre-requisite requirements. Students transferring in with certificates, military credits or high school dual credits must submit all transcripts for evaluation.
- ASHA Tuition Cost: $432 per credit hour
- The ASHA program has a non-refundable required tuition deposit of $50 to secure admission into the program. This deposit will be applied to the first tuition bill.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate effective use of oral and written communication.
- Apply a broad understanding of the healthcare system at a basic, introductory level.
- Identify tools and strategies to influence the use of technology, data, and information for improving safety, quality, efficiency, and patient-centered care.
- Understand legal, regulatory, and management perspectives in healthcare decision making.
- Develop an understanding of the diverse cultural values and beliefs of patients and families, as well as those of the healthcare workforce.
ASHA MAJOR COURSES
HCA 120 Intro to US Healthcare System
HCA 140 Healthcare Management
HCA 160 Human Resource Management in Healthcare
HCA 180 Legal Issues in Healthcare
HCA 200 Informatics in Healthcare
HCA 260 Communication in Healthcare
ASHA Electives (required)
PSY 220 Sociocultural & Int’l Awareness
60 total Credits are required for all Associate Degree Programs
“Employment of medical and health services managers is projected to grow 32 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. As the large baby-boom population ages and people remain active later in life, there should be increased demand for healthcare services. The median annual wage for medical and health services managers was $100,980 in May 2019.”
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What can I do with an Associate’s Degree in Healthcare?
Healthcare continues to be one of the fastest growing sectors for job possibilities. There are many positions that do not require a Bachelors or Master’s degree. Many jobs only require a few years of education.
What education do I need to have in order to qualify for an Associate’s degree?
If you have a high school degree or GED you can apply for the program.
How long will it take to get an Associate’s Degree?
If you take at least 2 classes per term, 4 per semester, it should take you approximately 5 semesters. It is your choice to take more or less. The program is flexible.
How are classes set up?
At UP there are semesters made up of 2 8-week terms. You are able to take up to 2 classes per term or 4 classes a semester.
How many credits do I need to take?
A total of 60 credits.
What if I haven’t been in school for many years? Is this a program I can be successful in?
Yes. This is a program that is designed for adults who have not been in school and have busy work and family lives.