Mary Amick is an Associate Professor of Healthcare Administration and Program Director for the Associate of Science and Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration programs. Amick joined the University of Providence in 2020, bringing with her over ten years of experience serving in healthcare administration roles within healthcare and multiple positions in healthcare administration across four universities before joining the University of Providence’s School of Health Professions.
Amick’s educational experience includes a Doctor of Education in Organizational Change & Leadership from the University of Southern California, a Masters of Adult Education & Organizational Development from Oregon State University, and a Bachelor of Arts in Speech, Drama & Special Education from Idaho State University. Amick has served in various healthcare-related positions, with the majority being director-level positions. Her work experience includes being a Foundation Director, Director of Events, Director of Marketing, and Director of Member Services for multiple health services and healthcare organizations in Oregon.
As an Associate Professor of Healthcare Administration, Amick teaches courses across the undergraduate and graduate levels of healthcare administration and the Master of Science in Infection Prevention and Epidemiology program. Some of the courses Amick teaches include Professionalism, Ethics & Values in Healthcare Management, Healthcare Systems, Strategic Planning, Marketing & The Patient Experience, and Transformational Leadership within healthcare.
- Doctor of Education in Organizational Change & Leadership, University of Southern California
- Masters of Adult Education & Organizational Development, Oregon State University
- Bachelor of Arts in Speech, Drama & Special Education, Idaho State University
- Foundation Director
- Director of Events
- Director of Education & Events
- Director of Marketing
- Director of Member Services
- Grant Writer & Project Director
- Associate Professor, University of Providence, 2020 – Current
- Associate Professor & Chair, Concordia University, 2019 – 2020
- Assistant Professor, Concordia University, 2014 – 2020
- Instructor, Concordia University, 2013 – 2014
- Preceptor Trainer, Oregon Healthcare Association, 2006 – 2012
- Instructor, Mount Hood Community College, 1991
- Instructor, Clackamas Community College, 1987 – 1991
- Human Resource Management Certificate
- Assisted Living Certification
- Nursing Home Administrator License
- Rehabilitation Counseling with Deaf & Hearing-Impaired Adults Certificate
- Oregon Healthcare Associate Special Service Award
- Member Recognition of Long-Term Care Administrator Health Licensing Board (Oregon Legislature Appointment)
- ASHA: Associate of Science in Healthcare Administration
- BSHA: Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration
- MHA: Masters in Healthcare Administration
- MSI: Master of Science in Infection Prevention & Epidemiology
- HCA 170: Professionalism, Ethics & Values in Healthcare Management
- HCA 260: Communication In Healthcare
- HCA 494: Healthcare Administration Capstone
- MHA 502: Healthcare Systems
- MHA 523: Strategic Planning, Marketing & The Patient Experience
- MHA 525: Transformational Leadership
- MSI 550: Transformational Leadership
Three Questions With Mary Amick
- What do you enjoy doing outside of academia?
- I love anything outdoors if there are trees around. I think trees are a true expression of God’s gifts to us. It is for the same reason I love flowers and caring for them. I’m also an avid reader of mysteries, especially if they are set in Victorian England.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- The ability to take away pain and mental illness and replace it with calm and healthy bodies and minds.
- What three items would you bring if you were stranded on a deserted island?
- Books, watermelon popsicles, and my smart phone.