Jesus taught his followers that goodness will always overcome, and as a faith-based Roman Catholic university, we believe in the principle. “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life,” (John 8:12, NIV).
As an expression of the teaching mission of Jesus Christ, the mission of the University of Providence is to provide students with the opportunity to obtain a liberal education for living and for making a living.
The University of Providence was founded through the collaborative efforts of the Sisters of Providence, the Ursuline Sisters, the Catholic Bishop of Great Falls and the civic community all of whom recognized societal need for higher education. Its educational mission, sponsored by the Sisters of Providence, continues to be the shared endeavor of dedicated people.
- The University cooperates with both private and public institutions to attain goals consistent with its educational purpose and values.
- The University continually and responsibly evaluates its operation and programs. It develops professional and career programs and continuing education courses designed in view of society’s present and future needs as well as traditional academic degrees in appropriate fields.
- The University offers students a foundation for actively implementing Gospel values and the teaching of Jesus within the Catholic tradition; it serves students of all beliefs who wish to take advantage of its programs.
The faculty and staff of the University join with students in a cooperative and enthusiastic search for truth, so that students may develop:
- Character – have a positive impact on the world and to the communities in which they live and work, particularly by recognizing and accepting personal accountability to themselves, to society, and to God;
- Competence – further their ability to live full and rewarding lives by becoming competent working members of society who know the basics of their professional field and have access to future learning;
- Commitment – find meaning in life which enables them to participate effectively in society while transcending its limitations, by living according to their own moral and religious convictions, as well as by respecting the dignity and beliefs of other people.
- Seeking to understand: “As an expression of the teaching mission of Jesus Christ,” our University brings together reason and faith to seek the truth. We are a faith based learning community, dedicated to encouraging and assisting our students in seeking to understand and searching for truth.”
- Living in community: “to provide students with the opportunity to obtain a liberal education for living and making a living.” We believe a particular type of education prepares students for both living and making a living. The origins of a liberal education are Greek, an education for a free, independent man. Our liberal education is for a free independent man or woman, engaged in civic and faith communities, often demonstrating independence in a counter-cultural manner, with a special concern for the poor and vulnerable.
- Searching together: “the faculty and staff of the University join with students in a cooperative and enthusiastic search for the truth…” We learn together, we search together, we seek to understand together. We live and learn in community.