WHO WE ARE
The University of Providence is a four-year, private, Catholic liberal arts university with a main campus located in Great Falls, Montana offering both face to face and online programs. The University is committed to its mission of preparing students for living and making a living. Founded by the Sisters of Providence, the University is a ministry of Providence St. Joseph Health (PSJH) and continues to create academic programs to address current and future workforce needs. Shared values of respect, compassion, justice, excellence and stewardship shape the missions of both the University and PSJH.
The custodian is responsible for the cleaning and sanitation work in an assigned building or work area of the University, or on occasional special projects. Performs custodial maintenance duties including dusting, mopping, finishing and buffing floors, vacuuming and shampooing carpets, cleaning and restocking restrooms.
- Responsibilities may vary depending on the shift. Shifts are rotated and include the swing and graveyard shifts, holidays, and weekends.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, strips, waxes, and buffs floors, hallways, and stairways and cleans and vacuums, carpets and rugs.
- Cleans and dusts furniture, walls, ceilings, windows, windowsills, woodwork, and other building surfaces.
- Cleans and sanitizes rest rooms, baths, commodes, urinals, lavatories, drinking fountains, and other fixtures.
- Picks up and removes trash and other waste from building and cleans waste receptacles and transports recyclable materials to drop off point on a scheduled basis.
- Moves furniture for cleaning purposes.
- Observes safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
- Observes safety standards and practices.
- Perform other duties as they may be assigned by the manager.
ESSENTIAL POSITION COMPETENCIES AND REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions ability to read and understand labels on chemicals.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to complete tasks (example: measuring and mixing chemicals).
- Sufficient knowledge of cleaning methods and the proper use of cleaning equipment.
- Ability to operate vacuum cleaner, floor waxer, floor buffer, and other cleaning equipment.
- Physical ability to perform work involving standing, stooping, operating cleaning equipment, and lifting of materials and equipment.
- Ability to recognize and to report maintenance needs in buildings to the manager.
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
- Models a passionate commitment to the Mission, values and work of the University of Providence through self-understanding, authenticity and spiritual grounding and inspires others to bring forth their best.
- Models high standards of honesty, integrity, trust and ethical behavior.
- Balances the Common Good with the needs of the most vulnerable in decision-making.
- Ability to understand and carry out routine oral and written instructions in a safe manner, make routine decisions independently, sustain long periods of light to moderately heavy physical activity, and work harmoniously with others.
- Is reflective and instills trust through openness, respect and honesty with others at all times.
- Is nimble and flexible, and manages competing priorities effectively.
- Provides superior customer service and motivates others to ensure the same customer-focused intensity.
- Ability to lift and move objects of up to 50 pounds and occasionally handle objects in excess of 50 pounds. Ability to repeatedly lift 10 to 15 pounds.
- Willingness to be trained to perform job responsibilities.
- Handles conflict effectively.
- Proven ability to interact professionally with employees at all levels of the organization in a courteous and cooperative manner.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to foster a cooperative and collaborative work environment.
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Valid Montana Driver’s License required.
Position Type: Staff
FTE: 1.0; 1 vacancy
Location: University of Providence Campus
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, UP application and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COVERED BY THE MONTANA VETERANS’ AND HANDICAPPED PERSONS’ EMPLOYMENT PREFERENCE ACT
Employment Application (PDF)
Summary of Benefits (PDF)
The University of Providence is a Catholic, student-centered, mission-focused university. For more information, please contact Human Resources at 406.791.5976.